Working Title: Human Resource Consultant 4 (In-Training) – Northwest Region
DOP Classification: Human Resource Consultant 4
Recruitment Number: 19DOT-NWR-04014
Location: King County – Shoreline, WA
Salary: $52,536-$81,849 annually depending upon qualifications
Opening Date: 8/6/19
Closing Date: 8/20/19 11:59pm
NOTE: The closing date for this job posting may be extended in an effort to establish a broader, more competitive candidate pool. However, the first review of applications will be conducted on August 21, 2019.
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) Northwest Region Office is looking for an innovative, customer-focused senior level professional to join our Human Resources Team. This team forms strategic partnerships with business units entrusted with stewardship of the state’s multimodal transportation system within its most populous and economically diverse region. WSDOT’s goal is to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state.
The Northwest Region HR Team is a key player in building and sustaining our workforce of nearly 1400 full-time employees who support our diverse array of programs and projects, and strive for excellence and integrity in everything they do. In this role the incumbent will consult with business partners on a variety of human resource activities such as workforce development, labor and employee relations, classification/compensation, reasonable accommodation, training and more.
We are looking for a self-motivated, independent individual who also thrives within a team setting, and takes pride in providing exceptional customer service. This is a great opportunity for a dedicated individual who enjoys challenging work where no two days are the same, but also appreciates a solid work-life balance. We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a workload that is conducive to each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available for this position.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
Note: This position can be filled at either the Human Resource Consultant 3 or Human Resource Consultant 4 level, depending upon qualifications. The salary for each are:
Along with a variety of related duties and tasks, the Senior HR Consultant is responsible to:
- Provide expert labor/employee relations consultative services to region management, employees, and team members.
- Provide guidance and training to managers and supervisors; offering innovative solutions to complex problems on HR related issues and activities.
- Facilitate effective conflict resolution regarding labor disputes and employee concerns.
- Plan and conduct personnel investigations of alleged misconduct and/or violation of agency policy, labor contract/ or employment law.
- Advise management on grievance procedures and attend grievance and disciplinary meetings. Prepare disciplinary and grievance responses and recommend appropriate actions.
- Consult with supervisors on performance management including performance appraisals and performance improvement plans.
- Develop and conduct presentations, trainings, and workshops relating to performance management, workforce/career development and other HR initiatives.
- Consult and advise leadership on workforce planning initiatives, in determining staffing plans and staffing strategy.
- Partner with hiring managers in recruitment efforts and participate as interview panelist.
- Conduct job analysis and issue determinations and or recommendations related to classification and compensation.
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for FMLA requests and ADA related issues.
- Facilitate implementation of reasonable accommodations.
- Provide leadership and day to day supervision to human resources staff.
- Mentor HR team members and assist in HR team career development.
- Other duties as assigned.
At a minimum, the successful candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree with focus on human resources, social or organizational behavioral sciences, business or related field or any combination of training, education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree, with major course work in human resources, or a closely related field of study (one year of experience can be substituted per year of education requirement)
- Three (3) years of experience in a broad-based Human Resources Generalist role with progressively increasing responsibilities.
- Demonstrated computer skills with HR databases and MS Office Suite.
- Demonstrated experience in developing collaborative partnerships.
- Strong consultative skills; demonstrated ability to interpret rules/policies and provide sound guidance.
- Skill at developing collaborative partnerships and providing guidance on workforce and human resource related concerns
- Experience working independently and the ability to work as an engaged team member
- Experience working in a deadline-oriented office environment.
- Exceptional communication skills, written and verbal.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities; capacity to gather and accurately decipher a variety of data.
- Willingness and ability to travel locally to a variety of worksites.
The most desirable candidate will also possess:
- PHR/SPHR or SHRM-CP/SCP certification.
- Demonstrated experience consulting/advising management on union and labor relation issues, specifically in the public sector
- Experience developing and/or administering training material and activities to adult learners.
- Experience with interpreting and applying union contracts and employment laws.
- Intermediate level proficiency using HRMS/HRIS systems and electronic applicant tracking system(s), e.g. NEOGOV.
- Intermediate level of proficiency using Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Basic level of proficiency using Microsoft SharePoint.
- Possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted driver’s license.
How to Apply:
To apply, please visit: HRC 4 – Shoreline. In order to be considered for this position, please attach the following to your online application:
- A chronological Resumeoutlining your experience to date
- A Letter of Interestdetailing your qualifications, and why you believe you are the best person for this role, and
- A minimum of three (3) professional referenceswho can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies
For inquiries about this position, please contact Josefina Mutascu at MutascJ@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-NWR-04014.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations, and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.