Under general supervision, the Benefits Coordinator will take a proactive role in leading administration, coordination, and support for the Agency-wide benefits, retirement programs and performance management programs. Deals with internal customers and external vendors at all levels in occasionally difficult or sensitive situations.
- Serves as the subject matter expert on benefits and retirement. Ensures program requirements are being met. Works closely with HR Program Manager on benefits matters and future planning in order to develop, recommend and/or implement new of modified plans.
- Makes decisions in regards to insurance eligibility for status changes, and authorizes qualifying events to allow for special open enrollment.
- Conducts benefits orientations for new employees. Enters enrollment data and insures accuracy and integrity of benefit data in software programs.
- Maintains and reconciles to the general ledger all billing and payment for benefit plan premiums. Notifies payroll as well as employees of corrections and adjustments.
- Serves as a liaison between agency, vendors and benefit trust representatives.
- Provides information to employees about available benefit options and/or retirement plan choices and provisions, troubleshoot and respond to their questions, follow up on necessary documentation.
- Prepares reports and data on benefit enrollment to be used for Agency reporting requirements. Timely report benefit and termination adjustments.
- Invoice employees out on leave.
- On a per pay period basis reports to payroll and termination changes to Finance.
- Receives and enters in employee name and address changes. Notifies appropriate internal and external parties of the change.
- Three years of experience with benefit administration.
- Three years of experience performing highly detailed work involving sensitive or privileged information. For example, payroll, legal or medical data.
- Three years of experience with bill reconciliation to general ledger.
- AA degree or higher in relevant area. Will consider an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job
- Public sector and/or mid-size company with union experience
- PeopleSoft experience.
Entry Requirements for: Knowledge and Skills
Qualification to enter this position requires knowledge of the following:
- Federal, state and local regulations governing benefits (HIPAA, COBRA, IRS and pension plan regulations).
- Knowledge of HRIS, Microsoft Office Suite of Products generally associated with intermediate proficiency to create and maintain spreadsheets, graphs and reports, and linked worksheets.
- Grammar, punctuation, spelling.
- Time management, including priority setting and resetting.
- General office practices, correspondence and filing.
- Procedures for handling privileged or confidential documents.
- Principles of customer service, particularly in handling customer complaints.
- General accounting principles.
- Data base functions
- Working knowledge of benefit plans and labor contracts.
Qualification to enter this position requires skill in:
- Communication in English, in writing or verbally.
- Proficient in Data Entry and Ten Key applications.
- Attention to detail to identify and correct errors.
- Setting and resetting priorities.
- Dealing with people in emotionally charged situations and persevering in difficult situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Responding with flexibility to changing priorities while still meeting deadlines.
- Working well independently and in teams.
- Providing good customer service.
- Learning new assignments quickly.
- Exercising good judgment, to discern when to take problems to a higher authority for resolution or guidance.
- Processing improvement skills
Stooping, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, repetitive motions, carrying.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
On-line applications only at www.communitytransit.org. Please attach a resume and cover letter for consideration. The evaluation process may include interviews, background checks, reference checks, and various performance tests.
If you have a family member, or share the same living quarters of a current Community Transit employee, please let your Employee Engagement Recruiter know as your eligibility for this position may be affected.
Community Transit provides a tobacco-free and drug-free work environment. As a recipient of federal funds, Community Transit is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on any basis prohibited by Federal, State or Local law. We value and encourage diversity in our workforce. EOE AA/M/F/Vet/Disability. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability.