Abrasive leaders rub their coworkers the wrong way. Commonly referred to as bullying bosses, their destructive management styles erode motivation and productivity in organizations. In today’s highly competitive business environments, employers cannot afford the costs of disruption caused by abrasive leaders, including alienation and attrition of valued employees, harassment litigation, and retaliatory responses such as sabotage and workplace violence. Based upon Dr. Laura Crawshaw’s research and practice coaching abrasive leaders, these findings from The Boss Whispering Institute will address why leaders resort to bullying behaviors, why they deny their destructive impact, and what human resource professionals can do to effectively intervene. Participants will learn:
- Skilled vs. abrasive leaders: critical differentiations
- The most common characteristic behaviors of abrasive leaders
- The origins of abrasive leadership styles: myths and realities
- The dynamics of defensive aggression: Threat-Anxiety-Defense
- Why their managers don’t intervene
- What it takes to motivate an abrasive leader to modify his/her management style
- Critical elements in reducing defensiveness when coaching abrasive leaders
- How to motivate upper management to intervene in cases of workplace bullying.
1 PDC available
$20 members, $25 non-members, $10 students
Andrea Muzikant is a Life & Leadership Coach who has over 22 years of experience working in human services. Andrea also has served more than 14 years in leadership with local government in the state of Oregon. Andrea is the founder of Muzikant Coaching, LLC, a company that provides life and leadership coaching, focused on helping individuals and teams work better together.
Andrea is an accredited Boss Whisperer® who specializes in “The Boss Whisperer®” method for coaching abrasive leaders. This evidence-based coaching practice helps leaders to overcome negative perceptions and become more insightful leaders. Andrea’s mission is to help alleviate suffering in the workplace and reduce trauma caused by abrasive leaders. Andrea also offers life coaching for individuals in midlife who are looking for a “midlife reinvention” of sorts. Andrea is originally from Portland, Oregon, and in her spare time she really enjoys cycling and traveling.